June 6, 2010

Memorial Day 2010


Okay, so a bit of a serious post but i just think that it is needed! Things that you just don't think will ever happen to you, "we watch our kids", or "I'm a safe driver", or "that wouldn't happen here". All things I have definitely said at one time or another when hearing about something happening in other places, or to other families! NOT THIS TIME!
So Memorial Day will forever have a little bit of a different meaning (although I'm very grateful for those who serve our country...love them)! We, like many families, were having a big BBQ at my in laws, swimming, having a good time with all our family . We ALWAYS have someone watching the pool, many parents counting heads and making sure finished swimmers were out of the gate and others were w/adults or wearing life jackets. When some went inside and a few left in the pool, my husband happened to swim to the other end of the pool where he saw our nephew looking down into the pool. He happened to look down to notice another nephew at the bottom. Nobody saw him fall in and we didn't know how long it had been! Very panicked he grabbed him, pulled him out onto the side of the pool, yelled to call 911 and my brother in law(an ER nurse) who thank heavens was there started CPR. Giving CPR for about 7 or 8 min, until he finally started to cry and get water out. Right then they gave him a blessing and the EMT's showed up and took him to the hospital who then flew him to Tucson for monitoring! It was the scariest most awful day I have ever experienced and the only reason for this post is because seeing that little boy being pulled out was terrifying and to think that could have been my child hurts my stomach! We can't just think this won't happen to us or that someone else is watching them! It is so dangerous to be lazy around the pool or swim lessons or life jackets! This is just a reminder that we need to be so careful!
Thank Heavens that sweet little boy is fine! It is a miracle for how long it went on for and how much water was in him, but he is back to complete normal and we thank Heavenly Father everyday that that day didn't turn out so much worse. He wasn't supposed to leave us that day and i think he has a special little mission here! We came to close to losing a sweet little four year old and I really hope that this will make everyone a little more careful around the water! PLEASE!

7 comments:

Kara said...

Each time I see a blog post pop up from a friend about memorial day weekend, I get a knot in my stomach. It was truly the most horrifying and scary day of my life. We owe so much thanks to a gracious Father in Heaven for saving our precious nephew. We're so blessed!

Us said...

Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. I am glad your nephew is ok and doing well. You are so right it does happen that fast and it can happen to anyone and it is SO important to be so careful with kids around water!

Spencer and Marlee said...

Let's be honest... I cried when I heard! I am so thankful he is okay! I couldn't imagine actually being able to witness it.

The Clawson's said...

I'm so glad he is ok. I wanted to cry when they sung happy birthday to him in primary on sunday- it's such a miracle he is here!

The Clawson's said...

PS. I'm so jealous of your trip to D-Land! it makes me want to go right now!

The John Family said...

That is so crazy! Im glad he is okay! I could not imagine seeing that and going throught that! I am putting my kids in swim lessons for sure!

linda said...

So glad he is okay, we sang to him in primary for his birthday and he was just the cutest thing. Thankful his little life wasn't taken that day!